If you’ve been struggling to get good sleep lately, it’s about time you made things easier for yourself. The best way to get better sleep is with the best light blocking sleep mask. Our bodies are conditioned by nature to wake up at dawn, but for many of us, this is undesirable or even impossible—whether that’s because of our social lives, our job, or just because we want to get a little more sleep.
If that sounds like you, it’s time to look at sleep masks. They perform the crucial role of blocking out the morning light, which can creep in even behind blackout curtains. When it’s dawn, and you can see the light of the dawn, your body starts to wake up. That happens whether you want to wake up at 8 AM or 1 PM, and all it does is make your sleep less restful.
Now, you have a few choices to make. First is whether you care more about comfort or price. Some masks are cheap; they might not be too comfortable to wear if you don’t put them on correctly. Others are expensive but are far more comfortable. You also have to think of how well they keep out light and how durable they are.
Luckily for you, we’ve got you covered. Our guide covers each of these points and more to pick out the very best sleep masks. There’s a little something for everyone and something for every budget too. So, read on if you’d like to find out more!
What Are the Best Sleep Masks?
So now that you understand how important sleep is, and how sleep masks can help you, let’s take a look at some of your options. We’ve rounded up five of the very best that we could find. Some of them are made of luxury materials. Others are designed to block out all light. Others still are cheap and cheerful. So read on and take a look!
Alaska Bears Silk Sleep Mask
If you are looking for the best luxury sleep masks, try the Alaska Bears Silk Sleep Mask. These masks come made from 100% high quality 19 momme natural mulberry silk on both sides. The all-natural silk material in the masks is what sets them apart from the rest.
Natural mulberry silk is soft, smooth, and cool, which is why it’s called the “silk of the emperors.” This is precisely why Alaska Bear masks are some of the top choices among high-end spas around the world. Its breathable natural fibers are hypoallergenic.
They are designed to keep oxygen in, while at the same time ensuring dry air stays out. They are the ideal choice for those with sensitive skin. They are also an excellent choice for those who use creams or moisturizers during the night because the creams won’t seep into the silky material.
Not only are Alaska Bears Silk Sleep Mask smooth and comfortable, they also come along with an adjustable headband. This fully adjustable strap can range anywhere from 15.8 – 27.6 inches. This makes it the perfect option for men, women, and children.
Also, Alaska Bears silky sleep mask is the best sleep mask for side sleepers. These masks come equipped with a plastic adjuster that stays at the side of the head. When sleeping on your side, it won’t dig into your temples as many other masks do. Alaska Bear silk sleep masks are so adjustable that they can fit over earplugs and even CPAP masks.
With the Alaska Bear mask, you have three different strap options. The “One strap” option is the most basic option. It’s fully adjustable and latex-free. They never use Velcro straps. Velcro can often become entangled in your hair or on your pillowcase. Instead, all straps come made from long fiber mulberry silk too. If you prefer, you can also choose the one strap option with nose baffle.
Adding a nose baffle to your sleep mask can make all of the difference, ensuring that all light is effectively blocked. If you are a tosser or turner, you may opt for the two strap options with nose baffle. Not only will they help keep the light out, but it will also ensure a secure fit as you move around throughout the night.
The downfall of this mask is that it is not that durable. Alaska Bear sleeping masks have been known to fall apart after repeated use. This means that you’re going to have to buy more when your first mask frays or breaks. They may also leave stains on white sheets and pillowcases, so it’s best to wash them before you use them.
So what’s our verdict? If you are looking for the best quality materials in a sleep mask, you can’t go wrong with Alaska Bear. They’re high quality, soft, smooth, comfortable, and hypoallergenic. They even come in different designs to help find the perfect comfort level for those of any age or need. Children, adults, men, women, travelers, side-sleepers, and even tossers and turners can all enjoy them.
- Comfort: 9 – Alaska Bear sleep masks are soft, adjustable, and lightweight. They are very comfortable to wear, even over the top of headphones, earplugs, and CPAP masks. Their three different adjustable strap options make them comfortable for everyone.
- Effectiveness: 8 – Alaska Bear sleep masks offer three different strap options, with the added option of nose baffles. If you aren’t getting enough light blockage from the mask itself, an added nose baffle can make all the difference in blocking out all sources of light.
- Durability: 3 – Alaska Bear masks are incredibly comfortable and effective at blocking out the light. Unfortunately, they are not the most durable sleep masks out there. These masks have been known to fall apart. It’s also not uncommon for the black dye of the mask to run off onto pillows.
- Value: 6 – Alaska Bear sleep masks are comfortable and practical. Unfortunately, they are not extremely durable. They’re not too expensive. So even if they fall apart, they are not expensive to replace. They are also often on sale, boosting their value rating.
Check the Price of the Alaska Bears Silk Sleep Mask on Amazon!
Sleep Master Sleep Mask
Anyone looking for an excellent sleep mask might want to try out the Sleep Master Sleep Mask. Made from satin, these masks are both lightweight and breathable.
They come equipped with a synthetic outer shell and cotton interior for maximized comfort. Sleep Master Masks come made from all hypoallergenic materials and will not irritate sensitive skin. All masks are latex-free and made in the USA.
What sets Sleep Master apart from its competitors is its dual usage. Like all masks, Sleep Masters come designed to block out the light. But also, Sleep Master also helps to muffle out the noise. It’s no surprise that these masks were created by someone with insomnia, for people who regularly experience insomnia. Of course, light and sound are the two most common things that influence sleep quality.
So the inventor decided to put the two together, creating a sleep mask that blocks out light and muffles noise at the same time. They’re considered to be an “all-in-one” sleep mask that provides all the necessary conditions for deep sleep.
Sleep Master Sleeping Masks are entirely adjustable, durable, soft, and flexible. They connect easily to the back of the head with Velcro straps. Many masks are flimsy and insecure. But Sleep Masters come designed to fit securely, so they don’t fall off while you sleep. They provide a comfortable and relaxing fit, and are a one size fits all option.
They can constrict and stretch as desired. Sleep Masters are also lightweight and easy to carry around. This makes them the best sleep mask for travel. Because they’re so effective at blocking out light, they’re great for those who like to nap during the day, or for those who have partners who want to sit up and read or watch television.
Sleep Master Sleep masks are both hygienic and hand-washable. You can wash them over and over again without damage. In return, they are incredibly durable and long-lasting.
There are a few downfalls, except for the price. Sleep Master masks are more expensive than most of the others on our list. They do last a long time, so they make up for it. They also come with a bonus pair of earplugs to enhance your night of rest.
So what do we think about the Sleep Master? When it comes to the best blackout sleep mask, this is the best on our list. There are few other sleep masks out there that can also double as sound mufflers. Combining these two things provides for a much better night of rest. The only problem for you might be the price.
- Comfort: 6 – They have a synthetic exterior with a soft cotton interior. The Velcro backing is flat and barely noticeable but might get caught in your hair.
- Effectiveness: 9 – Sleep Master masks do an excellent job of blocking out light, while also helping to block out the noise. It does both of these things with extreme effectiveness, giving users exactly what they are looking for – a good night of rest.
- Durability: 5 – They have average longevity. It doesn’t last forever but has a good lifespan if you make sure to clean it. They are both hygienic and washable.
- Value: 5 – The mask is slightly more expensive than other brands. While the price is higher, the mask also doubles as earplugs.
Check the Price of the Sleep Master Sleep Mask on Amazon!
Cabeau Midnight Magic Adjustable Sleep Mask
Cabeau Midnight Magic Adjustable Masks are another great option. Made from 100% Polyester, these masks are ultra-lightweight. They’re designed for a comfortable sleep anywhere, anytime.
You can use them for sleeping in bed, on a flight, while camping, or anywhere else you want uninterrupted sleep. These masks are the perfect blindfold and offer black-out conditions. They let zero light in, allowing you to get comfortable, uninterrupted sleep. In return, you can wake up feeling energetic and refreshed in the morning.
In addition to blocking out light, Cabeau Sleep masks come along with earplugs. These earplugs are soft and comfortable, made from a memory foam material. They can be conveniently stored in the eye cover pocket so you can carry them along with you anywhere.
Not only are Cabeau Sleep masks silky, soft, and comfortable, but they also provide the solution to sleep mask lines. Many sleep masks create “bed head” lines in the morning. While these lines do fade away, over time, they will lead to permanent wrinkles. But with the soft and adjustable fabric of Cabeau Sleep masks, wrinkles no longer need to be a concern.
What are the most significant benefits of Cabeau Midnight Magic Adjustable Sleep Masks? As the name says, they are completely adjustable. These face masks come with a padded and adjustable nose strip. In return, you can adjust the fit, as well as the level of darkness to your liking. Also, these masks are relatively soft and comfortable. Both their interior and exterior come lined with plush fabric for a gentle and soft fit.
They also come equipped with inner rounded eyeliners. This helps to keep fabric away from your eyelids as you sleep. Enhanced comfort is the result. If you’re not happy with Cabeau Midnight Magic Adjustable masks, you can also use their money-back guarantee for defective or damaged products.
There are a few downfalls of the Cabeau Midnight Magic. Firstly, they cannot be washed. This means that they do not last as long as some other masks. Once they are dirty, you need to throw them out to avoid bacterial buildup. Secondly, they don’t fit everyone properly.
Some people find that the mask does not adjust to fit their head. Some also find that the poor fit allows extra light in. The Cabeau Mask is also more pricey than others. They do, however, provide you with dual blockage of both light and sound.
So what do we think? If you are looking for good sleep masks, Cabeau can fit into this category. They’re made from high-quality materials that are soft, gentle, and comfortable. They also come with a set of memory foam earplugs that can be easily tucked away when not in use. When combined you get pretty good blackout sleep and noise blockage.
- Comfort: 7 – They are made of polyester. They come with a unique design and shape. Their interior and exterior are both lined with plush fabric for a gentle touch. They are also designed with inner rounded eyeliners so that the mask does not irritate the eyelids as you sleep.
- Effectiveness: 6 – They block out both light and sound. Unfortunately, some users find that the mask does not fit properly. Others find that the bridge area of the nose allows a significant amount of light in.
- Durability: 5 – They provide average durability. They do last a long time. But unlike most other sleep masks, you can’t wash them. In return, you will eventually have to replace them with a new mask to avoid bacteria buildup and infection.
- Value: 6 – Cabeau sleep masks do sell for more than many other sleep masks. Though they cost more money, they are also of a higher quality than many other brands. They also provide you with dual purposes with both light and sound blocking abilities—so think about what’s more important to you before you buy.
Check the Price of the Cabeau Midnight Magic Adjustable Sleep Mask on Amazon!
Dream Time Sweet Dreams Sleep Mask
Dream Time Sweet Dreams Sleep Mask is among the best sleep mask for travel. It’s lightweight, easy to pack away, and still comfortable. What sets the Dream Time Sweet Dreams Sleep Mask apart from its competitors?
Not only does this sleep mask keep light out, but it is also designed to soothe and relax. The Dream Time Sweet Dreams sleep mask has lavender sprinkled inside. The light aroma of the lavender helps to soothe and calm, providing you with a comfortable night of rest.
The Dream Time Sweet Dreams Sleep Mask comes equipped with an adjustable Velcro strap. This strap helps to ensure a secure and comfortable fit for all head sizes. The Sleep Mask is suitable for small children, men, and women alike. It also comes equipped with nose flaps that help to block out the light. This ensures decent blackout conditions for all sleeping environments.
Another benefit of the Dream Time Sweet Dreams Sleep Mask is that it can be heated or cooled. This sleep mask can be placed in the freezer to help you stay cool and provide cooling relief. If you prefer it to be warm on a cold night, it can also be placed in the microwave. Doing so will also help to release the lavender scent for more aromatic relaxation.
The downfall of this mask is that it cannot be hand washed. It can, however, be spot cleaned. If the lavender loses its scent, you should gently rub the mask. Alternatively, you can place a few drops of essential oils on the mask to keep it ‘fresh.
What do we think? Lavender does genuinely help you relax. Not only does it help to improve sleep, but it also helps to reduce stress and anxiety. So if you have trouble sleeping, this sleep mask may be the answer for you. It’s also good value, but it’s unfortunate that you can’t wash it like other masks unless you want to get rid of the lavender scent.
- Comfort: 7 – The mask is both soft and lightweight. It comes with an aromatic lavender interior that adds extra soothing and relaxation to your night.
- Effectiveness: 5 – This sleep mask gets good reviews when it comes to effectiveness. It is pretty basic in its design. There are no special additions to block out extra light. It will work for you or it won’t.
- Durability: 3 – The Dream Time Sweet Dreams sleep mask is average in its durability. You can get a lot of use out of it before you have to throw it away. The mask is not washable. So once it has been used too many times, you will have to throw it away to prevent bacteria buildup.
- Value: 7 – The mask isn’t too expensive, especially considering that it comes with lavender as well. This means that it might be best for you to buy more than one, especially because they’re not so durable.
Check the Price of the Dream Time Sweet Dreams Sleep Mask on Amazon!
SLMASK Sleep Mask
Those who are looking for a good sleep mask may also opt to try the SLMASK. This mask comes with a 3D contoured shape design. Unlike some other eye masks, the SLMASK will never put pressure on your eyelids as you sleep. This means eye movements like blinking shouldn’t brush up against fabric, itch, or tickle. It also means that you can wear lotions or makeup without worrying about smudging from your face mask.
The SLMASK is both soft and skin-friendly. The material used in the mask is light, breathable, smooth, and comfortable. The smooth interior of the mask helps to ensure that there is no friction on your skin. Because it’s permeable, it’s an excellent choice for the summertime when you’re most likely to be overly warm in bed.
The SLMASK comes equipped with an adjustable headband strap. This strap is elastic and designed to fit the size of any head. The elastic cord has also been softened to avoid any feelings of tightness that might occur with other bands.
Unlike many other sleep masks, the SLMASK comes by default with a nice looking pattern. This pattern makes it more sleek and stylish than other sleep masks. And when you buy the SLMASK, you get two for the price of one.
Keep the extra mask for yourself, or share it with a friend. They also come with a 12-month full refund. If you are not happy with the product, you can hand it back for a complete refund. SLMASKs can be gently hand washed.
The biggest downfall of this mask is also its greatest strength. It is simplistic in design. It does what it is set out to do, but nothing more. For some, this is not enough. For others who are looking for an affordable, simple mask, this is the perfect option.
What do we think? If you are looking for a basic sleep mask, the SLMASK will do the trick. It is an affordable option for those looking to get a good night of sleep. It doesn’t come with some of the extras that other sleep masks do. It’s basic but just good enough to do the job right.
- Comfort: 5 – The mask is soft and comfortable. The material used is light, breathable, and skin-friendly. It is basic in design but comfortable enough for all ages and genders.
- Effectiveness: 5 – Again the SLMASK is pretty basic. It does the job it sets out to do, but nothing more.
- Durability: 5 – This mask is average in its durability. It is both reusable and washable, but it will break eventually.
- Value: 10 – If you are looking for a basic sleep mask that comes at an affordable price, the SLMASK is a good option. You can buy them two for the price of one, and the price is already low. It’s simply made, but good value, which is excellent considering that they’re reasonably durable too.
Check the Price of the on Amazon!
Why Is Good Sleep Important?
Light and noise are two of the biggest distractions that there are when it comes to sleeping. Even small lights like the light of the moon can prevent some people from enjoying a deep and restful sleep. Why does this happen? We all produce a hormone known as melatonin.
This hormone helps to regulate the day and night cycles of our bodies. But for the body to produce this hormone it needs sufficient darkness. Light prevents the production of this vital hormone. Even small lights like those of your laptop or alarm clock can interrupt this production.
By wearing a sleep mask and blocking out light, you can boost your melatonin production and increase the amount of REM sleep you are getting. In return, you wake up feeling refreshed the next morning.
If you don’t get enough melatonin, it can lead to all sorts of problems: quicker brain aging, higher blood pressure, and kidney damage to name just a few. These problems compound over time the less melatonin you get. This is one of the reasons you will have heard that it’s important to keep your hormones in check.
How Can Sleep Masks Help You?
When you have had a good night of rest, you will wake up feeling refreshed. There are so many benefits of sleep. Not only will you feel better after a good night of sleep, but studies show that there are many other unseen benefits of sleep. Here are some of the ways that they can help you:
- Improved memory. If you give your brain time to rest, this allows you to do two things. First, since studies show that sleep is the time that long-term memories are formed, it allows you to recall more in the future. Second, since sleep helps sharpen your attention and focus during the day, it helps you to concentrate and in turn recall yet more.
- Improved life quality and even life expectancy. With improved sleep, you’ll be able to focus more on the good things in life. And, again, studies show that not getting enough sleep can cause depression and shorten your life expectancy.
- Reduced inflammation. If your body is well-rested, it also recovers quicker from aches, pains, and inflammation. The same applies if you have a cough or a cold. Getting longer, more restful sleep allows your body to fight off problems quicker.
Good sleep also benefits your life in other ways. Because of your increased ability to focus, you’ll find that you’re more creative, get better grades, perform better in an athletic contest and stop stressing out so much. That’s a huge benefit you can enjoy from such a small purchase as a sleep mask.
What Makes a Good Sleep Mask?
So now that we’ve reviewed each of these five masks, you probably have an idea of which one you’d like to buy. But before you jump right in, you should think about what makes a good sleep mask. It all depends on what’s important to you, but there are some things you shouldn’t compromise on.
The best sleep masks are those that are lightweight, soft, comfortable, and effectively block out the light. Not all masks are created equal, and if you buy any old mask expecting it to work, you’ll be disappointed. The cheapest masks you can find at supermarkets are shoddy and won’t block out light properly. If anything, you’ll be better without a mask at all. For those with sensitive skin, they should also look for something that is hypoallergenic.
On our list, the Alaska Bears Silk Sleep Mask ticks every single one of these boxes. It even comes with additional options for more effective darkness. But depending on price and other factors, you might like to pick a different mask from our list. Let’s take a look at some of the concerns you might have about sleep masks.
Are Sleep Masks Bad for You?
Not at all. There are no risks to wearing sleep masks, and they can help to improve your sleep quality.
The only problem is that cheap masks might not be nice to sleep in. These masks can often come made with materials that can harm sensitive skin.
Many low-quality masks also have no adjustment option. This can make them incredibly tight-fitting, leaving lines in the face, or cutting off circulation. If you buy a mask with an elastic headband, this is probably what’s going to happen. You can entirely avoid the problem by purchasing high-quality masks instead. Better masks have a Velcro strap or an adjustable buckle.
Are Sleep Masks Uncomfortable?
Again, it depends on what type of eye mask you buy. The comfort of a mask will largely depend on the quality. In many cases, people consider string masks more comfortable than Velcro ones. They can also be more flimsy.
With the Sleep Master Sleep Mask, the Velcro backing is broad, flat, and soft. In return, you will barely even notice it is there. The Velcro allows for a tighter fit, meaning the mask won’t fall off in the middle of the night. This is especially helpful if you toss and turn at night.
Is Blurry Vision Normal When You Wear a Sleep Mask?
While eye masks should not cause blurry vision, it can happen. In most cases, blurry vision occurs when an eye mask is pulled too tight. This occurs because the mask puts pressure on the eyes.
This results in blurred vision when you wake up in the morning. Fortunately, this side effect is only temporary and should subside quickly. To avoid this from happening, loosen the mask from around your head, but not so much that it falls off.
Masks And Sleeping Positions
The type of sleep mask that works best for you will depend on what type of sleeper you are. There are three ways that you can sleep:
- A side sleeper – You will want to find a mask that has good staying power. When you sleep on your side, the pillow is going to press against the mask, and try to pull it to one side. You will want to find a sleep mask that is adjustable and fits your head correctly. You will also want to ensure your mask doesn’t have any harsh buckles that will push against the side of your head while sleeping.
- A back sleeper – If you are a back sleeper you may want to choose a mask with a simple strap. You will not want any Velcro or other buckles digging into the back of your head while you sleep. Since you will have exposure to more light, you will also want to choose a mask that provides blackout conditions. A mask with a nose baffle may be a good choice.
- A stomach sleeper – You will want to choose a mask that doesn’t press on your eyes. Look for a mask with a contoured design, and one that’s lightweight. This is going to stop it from digging into your eyes and becoming too uncomfortable in the night.
Sleep Mask Material
You also have to consider what material your sleep mask is made of. Some are more comfortable than others. This is an especially important consideration if you suffer from allergies or irritations. Here are some of the different types of materials used:
- Silk – Silk is soft and luxurious. It is very effective in blocking out the light. The downfall of silk masks is that they get dirty easily, and after repeated washing, the material begins to weaken.
- Cotton – Cotton is both effective and comfortable for use in sleep masks. If you want a highly comfortable sleep mask, cotton is a good choice, although it isn’t as luxurious as satin or silk. Because cotton does not result in allergies, it is the ideal choice for those with sensitive skin. The downfall is that after numerous washes it can become discolored.
- Polyester – These sleep masks are durable and lightweight. This makes them an excellent choice for travel. Polyester is exceptionally lightweight, and so you won’t feel the same pressure against your eyes as you do with some other masks if they’re too tight. The downfall of polyester is that it can irritate sensitive skin.
- Satin – Satin sleep masks are often combined with other materials. These may include silk, cotton, and foam. Satin is both comfortable and washable (at low temperatures). If the washing temperature is too high, masks will shrink.
Which Sleep Mask Should I Buy?
So, it’s time to get to the most crucial part of the guide: which mask should you buy?
Well, it all depends on what’s important to you. If you’re worried about value more than anything else, you should pick the . Not only are they cheap enough already, but you get two for the price of one. That coupled with the fact that they’re fairly durable means that you’ll be saving plenty of money with them.
If you want the most effective sleep mask, the Sleep Master Sleep Mask is an excellent choice. Not only does it block out light completely, but it also muffles noise and makes earplugs more effective. The only problem is that it’s a little on the expensive side, and it’s not the most durable if you have to wash it repeatedly. But it’s effective and pretty comfortable, too.
If you want to pick the best sleep mask, you should pick the Alaska Bears Silk Sleep Mask. They’re made from genuine high-quality silk, which is one of the most comfortable materials out there. They’re also decently priced, so you can replace them fairly easily if you have to. So if you had to pick a great all-rounder, the Alaska Bear Sleep Mask is the one for you.